What is PSEO?
Post Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO) is a dual credit program that allows eligible junior and senior high school students to simultaneously earn high school and college credit through enrollment in and successful completion of college-level courses on a college campus.
Who is eligible to participate in PSEO?
Any 11th or 12th grade student enrolled in a Minnesota public, nonpublic, home school or American Indian-controlled tribal contract or grant school eligible for aid under section 124D.83, except a foreign exchange student enrolled in a district under a cultural exchange program.
The University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) allows high schools within a 60 mile radius to participate in the PSEO program. This is a reasonable commuting distance to participate in our in-person courses.
Students must notify their local district by May 30th each year of their intent to enroll in postsecondary courses during the following school year.
It is important to note that if a student does not notify their school district by May 30th, the district has the right to deny their request which would make the student responsible for covering the cost of tuition and fees to the college or institution in which they plan to enroll.
PSEO students are expected to:
- Own their PSEO experience by communicating clearly with their high school counselor and UMD about:
- high school graduation requirements
- planned courses at UMD
- course complications throughout the semester
- any issues that may arise
- Track their high school graduation requirements
- Complete work at the level of a college student/high school graduate
- Attend all regularly scheduled courses
- Take full responsibility for managing their time
- Meet deadlines without being reminded
- Reach out for support when they have questions
- Adhere to PSEO and UMD policies and procedures
- Meet with PSEO Academic Advisor once a semester to choose courses for the next semester
- Maintain a cumulative University of Minnesota Duluth GPA of 2.5
Availability of UMD courses
PSEO students register for classes after all other UMD student populations have registered. For this reason the UMD PSEO Program cannot guarantee seats will be available in any course. UMD science and math courses fill quickly and seating is extremely limited for PSEO students.