UMD PSEO Handbook

Welcome to the PSEO program!

Post Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO) is a dual credit program that allows high school students to simultaneously earn high school and college credit through enrollment in and successful completion of college-level courses on a college campus.

Who is eligible to participate

All grade 11 or grade 12 students enrolled in a Minnesota public, nonpublic, home school or American Indian-controlled tribal contract or grant school eligible for aid under section 124D.83. Except a foreign exchange student enrolled in a district under a cultural exchange program.

UMD allows high schools within a 60-mile radius to participate in the PSEO program. This is a reasonable commuting distance to participate in our in-person courses. 

You must notify your local district by May 30 each year of your intent to enroll in postsecondary courses during the following school year. 

It is important to note that if you do not notify your school district by May 30, the district has the right to deny your request which would make you responsible for covering the cost of tuition and fees to the college or institution in which you plan to enroll.

Course load 

Full-time students may take from 12-15 credits per semester. The PSEO program is offered during fall and spring semesters, courses are not available during summer term.

PSEO students are expected to:

  • Take ownership of your PSEO experience by communicating directly with your high school counselor and UMD about:
    • high school graduation requirements. 
    • planned courses at UMD. 
    • course complications throughout the semester.
    • any issues that may arise. 
  • Track your high school graduation requirements.
  • Complete work at the level of a college student/high school graduate.
  • Attend all regularly scheduled courses.
  • Take full responsibility for managing your time.
  • Meet deadlines without being reminded.
  • Reach out for support when you have questions.
  • Adhere to PSEO and UMD policies and procedures.
  • Meet with the PSEO Academic Advisor once a semester to choose courses for the next semester.
  • Create class schedules in MyU/ScheduleBuilder.
  • Maintain a cumulative UMD GPA of 2.5.

PSEO Academic Advisors are expected to:

  • Assist students in navigating high school requirements. 
  • Be transparent about our practices and limits.
  • Support students in meeting their academic, career, and personal goals.
  • Refer students to appropriate resources to support their academic, emotional, and social wellbeing.
  • Respond to students within two business days.
  • Know core UMD graduation requirements.
  • Know core University policies and procedures.
  • Foster a climate that respects diversity and creates a culture of inclusion.


  • All applicants are required to consult with their high school counselor about the suitability of this program before submitting an application.
  • Juniors are required to have a cumulative 3.5 high school GPA to be eligible for the program.
  • Seniors are required to have a cumulative 3.0 high school GPA to be eligible for the program.
  • Applicants must be juniors or seniors in Minnesota schools to participate in the PSEO program.
Not Eligible
  • Students outside the 60-mile radius from UMD.
  • Grade 10 students, UMD does not offer Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses.
  • Students who have completed grade 12.
  • Foreign exchange students.

Grades and transcripts

  • UMD faculty are required to submit midterm grades at the midpoint of each semester. These grades may show in your Canvas site or your MyU portal under the Academics tab.  
  • Any student who is receiving unsatisfactory grades at midterm will receive a communication from a PSEO advisor to discuss academic progression during the remaining time in the semester, as well as the option to withdraw from the course(s).
  • A withdrawal is always better than receiving an unsatisfactory grade in a course.
Final grades
  • Typically posted by UMD faculty a week and a half following the course's final exam. 
  • View your grades by: 
    • Logging into MyU. 
    • Click on Academics tab on left-hand side.
    • Click on Grades tab along the top.   
  • Changing grading scale from A-F to S-N is not allowed for PSEO students, as high schools need an A-F grading scale for appropriate weighting of grade for high school transcripts.

Your University of Minnesota transcript and the grades on it will follow you wherever you go. After you graduate from high school you may decide to apply to UMD. If this is the case, you won’t need to worry about transferring credits; you will simply build on the transcript you started as a PSEO student.

  • If you apply to another institution, you will have to send your Official UMD transcripts to that institution by ordering them through One Stop. Remember that accepting transfer credits is always a decision made by the individual institution. In the majority of cases, your PSEO credits will transfer to other colleges and universities.
  • Most states, however, do not have programs like Minnesota’s PSEO program, so some out-of-state schools may not understand that you have done regular college-level course work before being an undergraduate. In talking with officials at your college, stress that the program allows high school students to take regular on-campus University classes. Always keep the syllabi from the classes you have taken in case there are any questions about the content.
  • There are a few schools that will not accept PSEO credits. If you are concerned about the transfer of credits, contact the admission office of college to which you will be applying.
  • If the college or University you are attending (or will be attending) requires you to obtain written verification about your time in PSEO, send such request(s) directly to the PSEO Office.

Request a transcript 

Login to Parchment to request an official transcript.

Electronic transcripts

An electronic (secure, certified PDF) transcript is “official” in its electronic form as long as it is not altered. Electronic transcripts are only available through online requests via Parchment. It is important you request your transcript be sent to the intended recipient and not to yourself. The transcript becomes unofficial if it is NOT received directly from the University of Minnesota.  Electronic transcripts are available to download by the recipient for 30 days. After 30 days, the document will no longer be available. It is your responsibility to ensure that your transcript is downloaded by the recipient within 30 days. A printed copy of an electronic PDF transcript is not official. While electronic transcripts are widely accepted, confirm with your recipients that they will accept this format before ordering. 

Paper transcripts

A paper transcript is "official" only as long as it remains in its sealed white envelope. Do not open the sealed envelope if you are forwarding your transcript to another party (an institution, employer, or another person). Open the envelope only if you have ordered the transcript for personal use. Multiple paper transcripts (each in its own sealed white envelope) sent to a single address will be enclosed in a manila envelope that can be opened.

Failing a University course

If a class is not passed that is required for high school graduation, you might not be able to graduate with your high school class. In addition, there will be a permanent University transcript which will record the failing grade. Keep in mind that a grade received for coursework here at UMD does affect your high school cumulative GPA.

Courses or programs not offered to PSEO students

There are courses and programs that are not eligible for enrollment through the PSEO program. Please note that non-eligible courses and programs are subject to change.

Academic standing

Students who have a cumulative UMD grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher are in good academic standing at UMD.

Academic probation

Students with a cumulative UMD GPA of 2.499 - 2.0 are placed on academic probation. An academic hold is placed on the records of students on academic probation, and you have one term to improve your academic performance. There is no impact to registration for students placed on academic probation.

Academic suspension
  • Students who do not achieve a cumulative UMD GPA of at least 2.5 to regain good academic standing following their probation term, will be academically suspended from the University.
  • Students with a cumulative UMD GPA of 1.999 or less, will be academically suspended from the University.
  • Students who do not achieve the required cumulative high school GPA given their grade level:
    • Juniors are required to have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.5 to remain eligible for the PSEO program.
    • Seniors are required to have a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.0 to remain eligible for the PSEO program.

All registration will be canceled for students on academic suspension.

Appealing academic suspension

If an unusual circumstance has interfered with your ability to meet satisfactory academic progress, you can appeal the academic suspension. Appeals must be received by the first day of the term. Appeals must be accompanied by official third party documents that support the unusual circumstance. Appeals received after the first day of the term will result in a denial, and registration will be canceled.  

An approved appeal will result in continued PSEO registration:

  • You can enroll in a maximum of 6 credits.
    • If the original registration exceeded 6 credits, you will need to adjust your enrollment down to half-time status.
    • Any math and science courses will need to be removed from the registration.

The opportunity to appeal academic suspension is only offered to students not meeting University requirements. If you do not achieve the required high school GPA given your grade level, you will be academically suspended without the ability to appeal.

Additional resources

Student ID cards 

You must present a current photo ID to obtain a UMD identification card (U Card). PSEO students cannot use their U Card to charge items at the UMD bookstore.

UMD tours 

Schedule a UMD campus tour.

Course materials 

  • Once registered for courses, print a list of textbooks and course materials needed from MyU. 
  • Bring your list to the lower level bookstore, department charge counter. 
  • Introduce yourself as a PSEO student and show your U Card. 
  • All course materials will be charged to the PSEO program account. 

Digital materials: 

  • Materials are available on the first day of the course. 
  • A link for materials is available in Canvas for each course utilizing digital materials.  
  • You will receive an email about digital materials if any of your registered courses require access to digital materials. The email will also specify that there is a charge to access the materials. For PSEO students, this charge is sent to the PSEO office to process, so you will not owe a balance for any digital materials.
  • Optional loose-leaf print materials are available.

Returning course materials: 

  • At the end of each semester there will be a box labeled PSEO near the bookstore buyback area, place all textbooks for the current semester in this box. 


Parking permits may be purchased from UMD Parking Services depending on availability. The Parking Services window is directly inside the Bus Hub entrance, next to the UMD merchandise store. You may also park in Lot G (the public parking pay lot), or at metered parking. 

If you do not pay for your permit at the Parking Services window, you will be billed for your parking permit. The statement is sent via your University email and must be paid to avoid fees and holds, which can prevent registration in future semesters. The parking permit will cover both the fall and spring semesters of the academic year.

Parking permits
  • Maroon lot permit: These permits are a higher cost but are located near University buildings. A Maroon permit allows parking in any of the Maroon or White lots across campus. 
  • White lot permit: These permits are less expensive but are located further from University buildings. On average, it is a five-minute walk to a University building. A White permit allows parking in any White lot, but not a Maroon lot.  

For more information, including parking permit costs, visit the Parking Services website.

Pay lot (Lot G)

Payment to park in Lot G, the public pay lot, is similar to parking in a parking ramp. 

Costs are available on the Parking Services website.

Metered parking
  • Available across campus. 
  • Payment: quarters, Park Duluth app, or credit/debit card.

Costs are available on the Parking Services website.


UMD provides storage lockers for students at a minimal cost, information can be found at Lockers & Bike Lockers


PSEO students are not eligible for on-campus housing.

Recreational Sports

PSEO students can purchase a pass. The pass covers the health and wellness facility and pool. Additional fees are required for rope climbing and group fitness classes.

Disability Resources 

You may connect with Disability Resources for a variety of reasons. To get started, schedule a welcome meeting. Listed below are the most commonly requested accommodations.

  • Test accommodations including extended time or quiet environment.
  • Reading accommodations including audio books, e-text, text to speech software.
  • Note taking accommodations.
  • Interpreting.
  • Accessible technology.
  • Housing and dining accommodations.

Dining Services 

You can purchase a non-residential meal plan by visiting the Dining Services website or the U Card office. Dining plans can be used at Superior Dining, Plaza Food Court, and Northern Shores Coffee Shop.